Re: Time in prompts -

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 11/08/01

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Ben Merton wrote:

> The amount of detail i would want is just hour:minute - people dont usually
> record the seconds for meetings :P

Shouldn't your client do this sort of logging, not the server?  If your
client doesn't log the time, then you should probably ask the maintainer
to incorporate the feature.

Anyway, since that's not very helpful:

  time_t ct = time(0);
  strftime(buf + strlen(buf), 6, "%H:%M", localtime(&ct));

will append local system time in 24-hour notation to buf.  As with before,
it's up to you to integrate this with the code in make_prompt().  Also, as
with before, it's fairly trivial to do.

> so to have them timestamped would be useful if you were referencing
> someone to some part of the meeting (you know how they usually go for
> hours at a time

I'm still of the mind that this is the proper responsibility of a client.
If your client doesn't do it right, you could always write a quick one in
Python or Perl (or your favorite scripting language) that does what you
need it to.  And then create a special Logger character that the client
logs in as, transfer Logger to the meeting room, and there you have it.

Keeping your code maintainable is absolutely necessary if you want your
game to have a long and productive life.  I think this is a case where you
could bloat your server with features that are better suited for a client.

-dak