Re: Redoing Advance...

From: Mike Breuer (mbreuer@new.rr.com)
Date: 11/09/01

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ramsey Stone" <ramseystone@HOTMAIL.COM>

>    Ive been redoing my advance command. Thanks for all your
> help on the who MOTD! Sorry to bug you again. Anyways, brace
> yourself, its gonna be a long one. And id appreciate it if you
> didnt comment on my skills in c, its not very nice :)

It's not really possible for me to answer your question without commenting
on your skills, so I'm not going to try.  Instead, let me say that it is not
a very good idea to try to make any kind of significant code change without
a basic understanding of pointers, much less some of the more basic
constructs like switch statements.  There is still a chance you might get
the code to do what you want, but there is also a chance that you will
introduce problems into your MUD that you are not aware of.

I don't believe anyone who commented on your last message was trying to be
mean; I, for one, was trying to help.  Players don't generally stick with a
MUD that crashes a lot, because it isn't much fun.  I urge you to take our
suggestions to heart and pursue a deeper understanding of the language.  If
you commit to it, in the end, you will be glad you did.  Good luck.

Mike