Re: WebOLC

From: Artovil (artovil@arcanerealms.org)
Date: 11/26/01

At 16:10 2001-11-26 -0500, you wrote:
>Just curious to see if its been done.
>I'd like to implement a webOLC system using PHP.
>
>     Features:
>         - zone specific editing (not limited to one zone)
>         - can require approval (master builders can approve changes before
>they are committed)
>         - graphical map (grid based building)
>         - portability
>         - function references
>
>     Those are the ones I can think of off of the top of my head.
>
>     All in all... I'd like to make it so that the MUD can be administered
>from anywhere.  Its a step toward a web driven MUD.
>
>     Anyone else approached this ?
>     Any suggestions ?
>     Any desire for something like this ?
>
>     Not looking to re-invent the wheel here...
>
>Lodaren of Rhu-Dina'ar
>rhudin.newvisiongames.net 7777

Hello,

I have a semi-working WebOLC.  Though, I use MySQL, so I am not editing
textfiles.  I use it for help files, as well as my configuration, and basic
zone information as of now, will extend as I have the time.  If you also
run on MySQL perhaps you should just wait for me to release this.  That is
if you don't have to do it yourself. :)

I highly suggest that you convert to MySQL, since everything becomes so
easy with it.

The approval system is a really good idea, and I will bear that in mind and
"steal" that idea for my WebOLC package that I will probably release in
addition to my handpatch of MySQL.  I have no real dateline for this, since
I am quite busy at work.  But, I have everything done in the "common" OLC
but for shops and zones, and I expect to have these done by the end of the
year.

What did you mean with function reference?

Oh, got nice ideas for DG Scripts.  Web syntax coloring and syntax
checking.  Also, for descriptions, spell checking from spellchecker.net,
instant spellchecking in the text window.  Will have to implement that
straight away.

As for the map I have no direct solution for that, but, I guess it would be
quite simple with GD libs, could also create graphs and stuff to display
information of zones, mobs, loads, and other things.

One exellent way to build graphically would be to build a small Flash
client that interfaces with a php-script.  I could do that as well, since I
have experience with Flash apps.  But, I would like some input on that
before I start, since I am not sure what people wants.

If you are interested in this, please bomb me with ideas, folks.

Kind regards,
/Artovil