Re: Patching in Windows

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 01/05/02

> > Circle has already been ported to the Win32 platforms.  Please read the
> > documentaiton in /doc to find out how to compile the source files.
> >
> > Carlos
> Just a note, its alot easier to use somethign such as MSVC++, or DJGPP for
> compiling circle, cygwin takes too much memory, and just causes unneeded
> threads.
> since your runnign a *nix emulator, running circle, and all.

        Hm. This sparked my curosity.  This was probably a bad thing
because of all the trouble it caused (in another message).

        First, I'm not sure if cygwin tools legitimately can be defined as
a unix emulator.  It doesn't run unix programs, and everything it does is
via sneaky tricks.  It'd be more valid to say that it duplicates the
programs commonly found on a unix system (where applicable .. who and last
don't have much value).  It attempts to insure a similar cosmetic
appearance, but that's like calling netscape an internet explorer emulator
because they have similar look and feel.

        I'm not even sure where the 'thread'-ness comes into play.  I
assume that you threw that in without thinking.

        Okay, that bit of political jargon aside;

type                  compiler  executable      ram used
Windows, stock,         MSVC6   1,269,823       4,472K  (4.5 megs)
Cygwin, stock(*)        gcc     936,505         4,008k  (4 megs)

The memory footprint of the cygwin circle is the same whether it's run
from the 'cygwin bash' shell, or command.com (since, it's not a unix
emulator, you can run cygwin tools like gcc, etc, from the DOS command
line.)

        So, uh. No.  It's actually cheaper in memory to run with cygwin.

        Of course, it's only a half a meg difference. That's like, what,
12 cents on todays market?

                                                        PjD

* - had to alter a function to get the thing to load!  More on this in the
it would have made it larger (extra steps in get_line).