Re: str_cmp / strcasecmp

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 02/18/02

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, George Greer wrote:

> and doesn't take into account any possible architecture optimizations.

I still don't like it.  First, I'm doubtful that there's some meaningful
optimization that applies to strdup()'s allocate-and-copy that doesn't
apply to allocation (with calloc()) followed by copying (with strcpy()).
I also think such an optimization, if it exists, is likely unnecessary.
If either one of these premises hold, then I don't think it's worth doing
given that either

  (a) It crashes instead of presenting the malloc() error and abort()'ing

or,

  (b) It requires another #define, more autoconf code, and half-again the
      str_dup() code.

Of course, the big one is (a); (b) is just a minor qualm with code bloat.

-dak