Re: Languages, HELP!

From: Artovil (artovil@arcanerealms.org)
Date: 04/03/02

At 07:53 2002-04-03 -0500, Eugene Lukashevich wrote:
>On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 17:49:03 -0800, Daniel A. Koepke <dkoepke@circlemud.org>
>wrote:
>
> >> Alphabet [English]:  ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
> >> Alphabet [Al Bhed]:  YPLTAVKREZGMSHUBXNCDIJFQOW
> >

>Not sure that's a good idea. Most likely players will just do a triggers
>that'll substitute letters. no fun :(. BTW anyone know a better way to do
>languages, exept randomly generated strings?

If I would attempt to do something like this I would break down the words
and run them through a soundex function to return word parts from a set
number of arrays, but I can't give you any exact code examples.

You can find more on the soundex function in a book by Donald Knuth, "The
Art Of Computer Programming, vol. 3: Sorting And Searching", Addison-Wesley
(1973), pp. 391-392.

That way you could generate soundex codes for individual parts of the words
and match them against an array.  This would perhaps work?

Kind regards,
/Torgny