Re: itoa

From: Mike Stilson (
Date: 04/07/02

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 07:05:56PM -0600, Brian wrote:
>     Not being aware entirely of the prototype of itoa(), it's difficult to
>give you an exact answer.  It would help if you had quoted some code
>which utilized the function.  After some research, it appears Visual C++
>defines the function:
>char *itoa( int value, char *string, int radix );
Not sure on this one -----^^^^^^^

Something like this?

Without some surrounding code, I dunno what it wants for the 2nd
argument.  I'd guess it's going to be the same as the returned value,
but since I'm not sure I didn't bother with it.

--- semi-mailer code.  typed, compiled, tested twice, mailed. ---

#include <stdio.h>
#include <strings.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

/* enough room for base 62 or so */
const char *base_string = "01234567890ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";

char *itoa(int, int);

int main(int ac, char *av[])

        printf("Converted: ");
        printf("%s\n", itoa(atoi(av[1]), atoi(av[2])));

char *itoa(int num, int radix)
        static char buf[4096];

        if(num>=radix) itoa(num/base, radix);
        sprintf(buf+strlen(buf), "%c", base_string[num%radix]);

>Kras Kresh wrote:
>> I need that function, [itoa] but my server doesn't seem to support it,

Must say I don't really see the need for it, sprintbits() handles
writing ascii pfiles nicely, and sprintf() and pals seem to take care of
the rest.

Under the DMCA, I'm allowed to use my computer and the internet to
design, discuss, and improve a thermonuclear weapon, but I can't
use it to watch a DVD while running Linux.