Re: speaking of strings...

From: Ronald Fenner (abbadon@mac.com)
Date: 04/22/02

On Monday, April 22, 2002, at 02:33 PM, Edward J Glamkowski wrote:

> I know George and Jeremy will kill me for suggesting this, but...
>
> There's a lot of strings in the code - since so much of it is
> already outside the code (lib/text, world files, etc.), might it
> be worthwhile to do some resource compiler thing so the mud uses
> external stringtables?  Completely eliminate all text in the code
> and use ID references, so when you want to print a string, you do
> something like:
>
> That way someone writing a mud in some other language (like
> Canadian, appearently :)  can just edit one file for text strings
> and not have to sift through every line of every module...

you know that does sounds like a nice idea and with some sort of built
in string editor to the mud you could fix typos or rewrite the string
with out having to compile.

if we wanted to be even more ambitious we could support unicode allowing
the mud to be converted to other languages like japanese though it might
require a special client to be able to send the larger character set not
sure how telnet works with larger character sets.

also with a slight modification you could support multiple languages by
checking a language preference variable and then fetch the string from
the appropriate table though doing multiple languages in the world files
could be more difficult along with communication channels.

Ron