Re: [newbie] need patch program

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 05/08/02

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Jamie Nay wrote:

> Take it from me, I've been studying Latin for three years now. "i.e."
> stands for ille est, not id est.

First and foremost, please spare the list such noise.  If you're going to
share with us your knowledge of grammar and diction--and such pursuits are
mostly welcome--then, I beg of you, also have the decency to adhere to
list standards by providing the obligatory, topical addendum.

Second:

It is said Comenius and Erasmus were learned in Latin.  The world would
have one fewer falsehood had you only been alive at such time to put to
shame such claims of knowledge for Alas! they used "id est" to mean "that
is."

Perhaps after you succeed in having Comenius erased from history's esteem,
you can work on revising the Oxford Latin Dictionary, Oxford English
Dictionary, and Oxford American Dictionary, for they more boldly suggest
that <<is, ea, id>> additionally translate to "this, that" and "id est" to
"that is."

Kindly taking it from you,

-dak