Re: Dice Function

From: Evan Harper (elh@on.aibn.com)
Date: 07/08/02

Jeremy wrote:
> Rolling multiples of the same sized die results in what
> statisticians call the "normal distribution" (or "bell curve") and
> is used for modelling entirely different sets of characteristics
> than an even distribution.

Actually, the curve is just a big triangle centered on the average, not a
proper bell curve. Like, for 2d6 you have (set a fixed width font, 'k?)

   1  2  3  4  5  6
 +-----------------
1| 2  3  4  5  6  7

2| 3  4  5  6  7  8

3| 4  5  6  7  8  9

4| 5  6  7  8  9 10

5| 6  7  8  9 10 11

6| 7  8  9 10 11 12

So that's 6 ways to make 7, 5 ways to make 6 or 8, etc, like this:

                *
             *  *  *
 2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12

I've done the graphs for more than two dice also, and it's just a steeper
triangle that way.