Re: Dice Function

From: The Fungi (fungi@yuggoth.org)
Date: 07/08/02

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 09:20:33AM -0700, Mythran wrote:
> So, is it actually that important for having actual dice on a role-playing
> game?  I know that dice is a big part of d&d games, but how often has
> CircleMUD abided by all of the d&d rules that have developed over the past?
> Not a biggy and I don't mind the dice...just curiousity :)

It isn't necessary, but you won't see a percentile system in stock
CircleMUD anytime soon I suspect. Die emulation is a relatively
cheap way of getting curves but one could implement other algorithms
that do the same mapped to a percent or permil. You would get
finer-grained gradiation between ability scores and the like, but it
is a significant departure from the math behind DIKU and therefore
Circle. There may be snippets or patches on the developer site that
implement just this sort of thing (sounds familiar) but it would be
a trivial modification aside from the subsequent rebalancing that
would be required.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);