Re: Graphical Bar Code?

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 07/26/02

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Leonardo Herrera wrote:

> In combat, an hp bar can be useful, too:

The problem with this is that they're harder to read when there's lots of
bars displayed on the screen at the same time.  The principal advantage of
a meter is that you can interpret it at a glance.  Consider your car's
speedometer: you have some sense of what the needle location means, so you
don't need to actually read it to determine your speed.  If the meter were
sliding about the dashboard[1], you'd have to focus more to read and
interpret it, which certainly reduces its usefulness -- maybe to the point
where it has no significant advantage over just a simple numerical
display.

It might not be that bad.  It really depends upon how fast, furious, and
spammy your combat (and related) systems are.  Certainly it's worse than a
static bar, as you might achieve with:

  send_to_char(ch, "\0337"              /* Save status. */
                   "\x1B[23;24r"        /* Set static region. */
                   "\x1B[24;0H"         /* Where bar is ... */
                   "Health: [%s]"       /* The bar. */
                   "\x1B[0;22r"         /* Set text region. */
                   "\0338",             /* Restore old status. */
               SBAR(hb, GET_HIT(ch), GET_MAX_HIT(ch), 5));

which would work on good terminal emulators, but not much else.

> OTOH, A feature of this kind belongs more to certain types of MUD (H&S)
> than to a RPG oriented one, IMHO.

Would you elaborate on that?  I can't fathom why a seemingly innocuous
interface element, like a meter, would belong more to one type of game
than the other.

-dak

[1] Let's just say you got a *little* too into your Hendrix collection...