Re: Graphical Bar Code?

From: Bussy, Lee C. (OTS-KC) (lee_bussy@output.net)
Date: 07/31/02

I've been out of town for several days but you all have been discussing
something near and dear to my heart.

I think I have pointed out several times that I am not a coder, I'm staff
and Head RP Imm at WoTMUD (wotmud.org:2222).  It's a heavily modified Circle
2.X code and the implementers/coders (Flash and Zun) reached what in my mind
is an excellent compromise between user functionality and information.

During melee you cannot view your health, etc. in a precise manner.  At
first this is confusing but after you use it/get used to it it's an
excellent way (again IMHO) to provide quick info to the players.  The
information during melee is contained in the prompt like so:

* R HP:Hurt SP:Strong MV:StrongHaggard - Slaydak: Hurt - Ibiet: Healthy >

From left to right it's room lighting (* for lighted, o for dark),
hitpoints, spell points, movement points.  Then if you were assisting you
see the tanker's name and relative health, then you see the opponent's
relative health.  Health (HP) for instance goes from Healthy, Scratched,
Hurt, Wounded, Battered, Beaten, Critical, Incapacitated, Dead.  Similar
output for Manna and movement points.

As you can see you get a rough approximation of your health and the health
of your opponent at each prompt.  Typing "score" during melee shows normal
TNL and such but omits health, spell points (manna) and moves.  The prompt
remains the same even while not in melee (without the addition of the
opponent of course) so remains a "quick" reference and typing "score" is for
when you really want to know exactly where you are.

Weave (spell) timing is done with a spinning timer, a succession of -=+**+=-
characters followed by a backspace. Some enterprising players use local
processing to stretch these out to visibly time the weaves.

Again on this mud it's not about letting them know exactly what's up
(preventing scripted bots) but more a seat of the pants feel that I
personally enjoy.  Again, YMMV.

Anyway, the inclusion of an opponents relative health is a nice change from
stock, it leaves the players not having to spam "look X" or "dia X" during
melee and lets them concentrate on other things.

Not saying it's the solution, just pointing out "a" solution for your
information.

-=-=-=-=-
Lee C. Bussy
Aennor on WoTMUD
wotmud.org:2222
http://www.wotmud.org

The difference between a hero and a coward is one step sideways.
-Gene Hackman