Re: PCR - Peer Code Review

From: The Fungi (fungi@yuggoth.org)
Date: 08/21/02

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 08:28:36AM -0500, David Endre wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not recall seeing many peer code review
> requests on this list. Occasionally there is a new snippet, but most of the
> time it's break/fix type of content (code wise).

This list is more for open discussion, so things like requests for
private review, advertising for coders/builders, et cetera are less
welcome and thus (thankfully) not often seen.

> Is anyone interested in performing Peer Code Reviews? If so, should it be
> an online or offline discussion?

I might, given time. At the moment what little spare time I get is
spent coding on my projects, so I have little time to spend
reviewing others' works. Once I get over this recent recode hump
that may change for me.

> The main reason I am asking is because I wrote a large piece of code
> (roughly 800 lines) that works great...However, I am a strong believer that
> there is always room for improvement. A different set of eyes can sometimes
> spot a problem that was overlooked or knows of a more efficient method to
> doing something. As a side note, I don't necessarily wish to release this
> code to the public, unless there is a demand for it.

I'm a proponent of public code release, but I can only speak for
myself obviously. Of course we can assume the same goes for the core
Circle developers and anyone who maintains or even so much as
uploads a patch/snippet to the contrib repository. Anyone who wants
to review my original or modified third-party patches is welcome to
do so, whether they give me useful feedback or just look for
security holes to secretly exploit. That's their right.

> Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Code review is always a good thing in my opinion, private or
public. It all comes down to having enough time on our (collective)
hands to devote to helping others, but fixing bugs is fixing bugs.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);