Re: write_to_descriptor bug

From: Mike Stilson (mike@velgarian.sytes.net)
Date: 09/10/02

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 04:03:15PM -0700, Tap3w0rm wrote:
>> It means some user had so much data that the kernel's socket buffer is
>> full, CircleMUD's internal buffer is full, and they were sent yet more
>> information. At that point there's nowhere to put the data so they get
>> punted from the MUD.  It shouldn't crash you though.
>
>George are you basicly saying that the guy is not sending data and clearing
>his
>buf's often enough ?
>
>and what is the max data you can add to a buf ... i jsut redid my score
>screen
>and only do a send to char once the end of it. am i doing smoethign wrong?
>shoudl i send daya to the user more often ?

I find this happened on mine usually when the player came back and
complained about one of two things:

1: BSOD/frozen system
2: Some massive latency problem on their end (Usually they were
uploading some monster file over dialup)

I'm sure there's lots of other reasons but these are the two I've heard
most.  I've never had it happen and be a problem on the server's end,
and I've never had it crash because of it.

Then again maybe that was just luck.

-me