Re: [NEWBIE] skill\spell and spec_proc idea

From: Mike Stilson (mike@velgarian.sytes.net)
Date: 09/12/02

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 11:20:17AM -0400, Carlton Colter wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I was wondering if anyone had ever seen a text based spell storage system
>similar to the way objects and zones are stored.  I would like to be able
>to add new spells on the fly.

Only the ones I wrote ;-)
"on the fly" goes well with the dlopen/dlsym thread earlier, too.

>I also want to create a system that does not
>rig the classes to particular spells.  I want people to learn new spells
>from trainers spread out across the MUD.  Like going to the mob "Frah the
>master of Fire", and having to learn the skill\spell from him.  Then once
>you have learned it, it is added to your skill\spell list.  Then, if it is
>a battle skill\spell have it honed in battle, if it is not you
>must "practice" the skill\spell with the trainer mob.

Good luck.  You lose a bit of individuality of characters eventually
when everyone has every skill/spell.

>I would also like to
>remove the spec_assign from the c file and have that information in the mob
>file.  That way a builder can specify a special mob procedure without
>having a coder modify any code.

That requires a scripting language/interpreter, unless you're going to
let them write C code in the mob file, compile & dynamically load & call it.

>I did a search on the web and found this:
>http://nlh.mudservices.com/mobprog.html

Yeah. mobprogs, DG scripts, and I think there's several others.

>I wanted to implement something like if not that in my mud.  Because I want
>the mobs to have character and to do different things.

That's always a good thing.

>Any ideas or directions on how to achieve my goals would be greatly
>appreciated.

Get the mobprog or dgscript patch from the ftp site.

-me