Re: Proposal for the skills array

From: Jesse Becker (hawson@temperedweaves.com)
Date: 11/05/02

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, George Greer wrote:
> >Mobiles don't have skills unless you've changed something fundamental
> >[...]
>
> Somebody remind me to not answer e-mail at 2am when I've had 4 hours of
> sleep the previous night. *sigh*

Four whole hours?!  What luxury!

We have changed mobs to include skills, see below.

> Anyway, just allocating the array itself would be best if you want to make
> your mobiles imitate players more.  A linked-list approach adds complexity
> that is realized if you have a sparse skill list.  It'll depend on the MUD
> whether you use enough skills on mobiles to make it worth it.  If you run
> the mobiles through the player advance_level() function and given them
> classes then it's likely just the array.

In our case, there are generally two types of mobs with skills:  1)
"Named" mobs (i.e. the important dudes, not the cannon fodder... err ...
peons ... ), and 2) Trainers.  The named mobs would usually use the
various skills against you (i.e. if a wizards knows earthquake, (s)he's
going to use it against your party, or if a boar knows a "gore"  skill for
example).  Trainers are a bit different (we've changed various things
extensively):  if a mob is flagged as being a trainer, then that mob can
teach any skill known to the mob, up to the level known.  This lets us
have "basic trainers" and "expert trainers" for example.

Even so, the number of mobs with skills is far, far below the number of
mobs without, and the code for the linked list isn't terribly complicated.

--Hawson