Re: Unified account with many characters

From: Torgny Bjers (artovil@arcanerealms.org)
Date: 12/08/02

On 02-12-08 17.55, "Templar Viper" <templarviper@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> From: "Torgny Bjers" <artovil@ARCANEREALMS.ORG>
>> I have been sketching on a system for our CircleMUD which will allow
> players
>> to have one login account with multiple characters.  I thought I'd run
> this
>> by the list since I am having some problems with actually planning the
>> system code-wise, and perhaps somebody has done something like this
> before,
>> and perhaps they even have code tidbits to share.
>
> I've seen several muds with such a system, cannot recall whether they were
> circlemud though. Maybe there are rom systems that do that?

Could be. I am not sure. More information on this would be good, if someone
have any insight into these other server codebases.

>> What I have decided so far:
>> Make the unified accounts a configure option, that way the administrator
> can
>> chose if he wants the original CircleMUD system or the new unified account
>> system when he configures the package.
>
> You want it to be a part of Circlemud 4.x? Or do you want to release it as a
> patch?
>   The goal the Circlemud programmers set was to make Circlemud easy to
> understand and simple. But simple at what? Simple at code, or a simple
> engine (A simple circlemud for the players, but a well developed and
> many featured code) of the game? I think things like corpse-saving, enhanced
> last command and several other things that almost everyone will want should
> be put in, but an option so it can be turned off. Will Circlemud 4.x contain
> more features? Will it mainly be a redesign of the circlemud core? What the
> general opinion about this? (This was pretty off-topic)

Frankly I care little if it is part of CircleMUD 4.x.  I want it now, for my
server, not in two years for a codebase I have to fully convert ALL my code
to.  Although, that is a thing to consider for the 4.x release.  If it was
incorporated like an optional configure package, then I think it would add a
lot to the overall value of the server.

>> If you see any immediate flaws in what I proposed, have suggestions, or
> just
>> think the idea plain sucks, or if you think this is a cool idea and
> perhaps
>> want something like this for your own CircleMUD, please let me know. Right
>> now it will be coded for a CircleMUD bpl21, but it's going to be upgraded
>> 3.1 before long, and as of now, most saving and loading uses MySQL, which
>> can easily be altered to the ASCII pfiles and such with little fuss.
> I think it's a cool idea, it's easier for immortals to keep track of
> players. However,
> I don't think it's a good idea to use MySQL since it would require MySQL
> libraries right? Why not use ascii playerfiles instead. Anyhow, my two
> cents.

I am already using MySQL.  And yes, it requires MySQL libraries and the
proper include paths for the MySQL headers.  Although that's not what
worries me, since switching back my code and writing a load/save routine for
ASCII files is my least trouble, actually.  That's simple as pie if you ask
me, and I think many others will agree.

All my functions and my code look just like all other stuff in the CircleMUD
codebase, so the actual transfer from MySQL storage to ASCII storage is easy
enough for me, or somebody else, to do when the system is finished and we
release a patch for it against bpl21/3.1.

Although, if somebody wants to make this a joint effort and can provide a
public CVS for the purpose, preferably with SSH logins for the developers
that are interested in this, let me know, and we'll start with a clean 3.1
and make it that way.  Then I can just convert the loading and saving into
MySQL and everything will be nice and dandy for me anyway. :)

Regards,
/Torgny