Re: [NEWBIE][CODE]Races

From: Greg Buxton (gbuxton@maple.he.net)
Date: 12/14/02

Quote Jimmie Tryon:

> When I type 'd' for dwarf at the main menu, it makes the character an elf.

*snip code from races.c

No, based on that it looks like it's making them a Dwarf.  But if you check
USERS (or anything that uses *race_abbrevs[]) you don't see them as a Dwarf,
you're seeing them as an Elf.

Let's look at the two lists side by side:

 const char *race_abbrevs[] = { |  const char *pc_race_types[] = {
   "Hum",                       |    "Human",
   "Elf",                       |    "Dwarf",
   "Gno",                       |    "Elf",
   "Dwa",                       |    "Hobbit",
   "Hob",                       |    "Gnome",
   "Orc",                       |    "Orc",
   "Tro",                       |    "Troll",
   "Ogr",                       |    "Ogre",
   "Gia",                       |    "Goblin",
   "Gob",                       |    "Half-Elf",
   "Dra",                       |    "Half-Orc",
   "Hlf",                       |    "Halfing",
   "Hrc",                       |    "\n"
   "Hal",                       |  };
   "\n"                         |
 };                             |

Ok, so we can see some things just aren't ordered right.  But before we
address
that, let's find out what the order of the race_types should be and make
sure
that's right.

                                |  const char *pc_race_types[] = {
#define RACE_HUMAN      0       |    "Human",
#define RACE_DWARF      1       |    "Dwarf",
#define RACE_ELF        2       |    "Elf",
#define RACE_HOBBIT     3       |    "Hobbit",
#define RACE_GNOME      4       |    "Gnome",
#define RACE_ORC        5       |    "Orc",
#define RACE_TROLL      6       |    "Troll",
#define RACE_OGRE       7       |    "Ogre",
#define RACE_GIANT      8       |    "Goblin",
#define RACE_DRAGON     9       |    "Half-Elf",
#define RACE_GOBLIN     10      |    "Half-Orc",
#define RACE_HALF_ELF   11      |    "Halfing",
#define RACE_HALF_ORC   12      |    "\n"
#define RACE_HALFLING   13      |  };

So, looks like we've got some things not set right in the pc_race_types list
too.

Assuming that the #defines are accurate, and the menu for race selection is
what
you want, let's remake the two lists pc_race_types and race_abbrevs so that
they
match up:

const char *pc_race_types[] = {
  "Human",