Re: Exp Formula

From: The Fungi (fungi@yuggoth.org)
Date: 01/03/03

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 06:54:26PM -0500, khsweb@idaho.tds.net wrote:
> Just looking for something simple, increments as you go would be great.
> If you want an example, the thing i had in mind was this:
[...]

Feeding the data you give into gnuplot, it's almost linear. No point
in having a *very slight* curve if you're looking for a simple
equation, so I'd suggest:

   floor(5.875*(n-2)+3)*1000

...which gives you a scale like this:

   2    3000
   3    8000
   4    14000
   5    20000
   6    26000
   7    32000
   8    38000
   9    44000
   10   50000

...and isn't too far from your suggested dataset. Or, as suggested
in another post, a parabolic sequence might work for you as well:

   ceil(0.49*n*n+1)*1000

...which gives you a scale like this:

   2    3000
   3    6000
   4    9000
   5    14000
   6    19000
   7    26000
   8    33000
   9    41000
   10   50000

...where only level 4 experience differs from your original dataset,
and then only by one unit. Of course, keep in mind that a shallow
curve like this will result in the climb from level 29 to level 30
requiring a mere 28000 experience. This works if you implement some
system were by higher levels make it tougher to gain experience.
Otherwise, I would suggest a steeper curve, which could be
accomplished in a number of ways (just borrow an 8th grader's
algebra textbook some time).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);