Re: Complete Codebase Opinions wanted

From: Brandon Allen (crio49@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: 01/15/03

>Personally, as a player, I like unique. Having been around and
>played a variety of MUDs in the past 10+ years, things tend to look
>the same after a while. I choose to modify Circle code (as opposed
>to other codebases) as much for nostalgia as anything. That good old
>DIKU feel. Arglebargle, glop-glyf!?! But when it comes to quirks of
>the campaign world, I don't want the same old guilds, color noise,
>equipment auctions or other crap (no offense) that seem to permeate.

I must agree here I hate to log on to a mud and see the same code
over and over again. The same colors and same crap just different
amounts of it.

>I do find OLC and in-game scripting useful, and therefore tend to
>include them in whatever I do. Same goes for text-based storage of
>most any persistent game data. These, however, are "behind the
>scenes" features that aren't directly visible to mortals and
>therefore don't contribute to the sort of stagnation I've witnessed
>throughout today's MUD scene. If anything, they spur innovation for
>non-coder staff and also allow you to move increasing amounts of
>your game's featureset outside the more static core code.

I must add to your list 128 bit files specifically the new version
that consumes the 32 bit versions and rewrites them as 128 and
gives you the option of keeping with the 32 bit files if you want

>Other than big things (OasisOLC, DG Scripts, ASCII PFiles) that I
>feel are implemented in a stable manner and don't wanna bother
>reinventing the wheel, any other modifications I need I tend to do
>on my own. Occasionally I'll look at someone else's snippet or patch
>for inspiration, but usually, with minimal programming skill and
>enough imagination, sufficient examples for most anything abound in
>stock code. You just have to get used to figuring out what parts of
>stock are similar to things you want to implement and copy or expand
>the relevant functions/structures.

I do the same looking into the stock code there is always something
somewhere in the code that already does what your looking for.

I however would like to see a project to take all the snippets
off the ftp site and work them Up for the newest version of the
mud. I have done it to a few snippets but I have been adding them
into the mud as I go along so I usually don't want to make the effort
to run patch and look for every little change and then write a step
by step about it.

when i was way new to this files with step by step were better for
me then a .patch file because if I got a reject I didn't quite know
what i was doing. for new coders this is the best way for them to
1 get a good tour  of the mud. 2. see what they are changing and
have an idea of where the changes are happening. and 3 get them
into the code and make sure they don't think of the code as some
hideous monstrosity they are afraid of

>A "vendor branch" style project could exist to provide a more
>feature-rich CircleMUD-based variant which is periodically synced
>with official Circle releases. But the extra features you add
>(especially those which impact performance or change the "look and
>feel" of DIKU/Circle) will probably result in an inverse proportion
>for the number of coders willing to use it as a base for their
>projects. Just my half-nybble.

i think this could be taken a little further.

1 release of this ""vendor branch" style" project could be implementing
the back ground items oasis,dg,ascii,128. then there is another
release. with features laid over it.

basically a upgrade to the engine release and a full feature release.
there even could be a few versions of the full feature release. we
would setup a website with a pole asking everyone what there favorite
feature combo's are. have them pick there favorite 5.

the top 5 would go into a release. and the next 5 into another release
and so on .. each release having more then the last

release 1 - circle + ascii + OASIS + DG + 128
release 1 - circle + ascii + OASIS + DG + 128 + FEATURE 1-5
release 1 - circle + ascii + OASIS + DG + 128 + Feature 1-10
release 1 - circle + ascii + OASIS + DG + 128 + Feature 1-15

and so on it would be a large project that could run side by
side with a snippet update project as all the snippets would
need to be updated to work with the new code base.

ok i am done rambling ....

ttyl
-Brandon Allen

PS

my smoke project is closer to being done Real Life got in the way
as it usually done. give me another week and I will have a smokeables
batch up and running