Re: [CODE] Take and Extra Descriptions

From: Dave Robbins (daverobbins@comcast.net)
Date: 04/30/03

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:08:21 -0700, Adam Scriven wrote
> This brings up a question that I have had for a long time.  Would it
> be possible to build the descriptions of the rooms, based on the
> actual contents?  That way the list would be gone, and you'd have to
> read the description to get all the information.
> Characters/Mobs should be in there too, of course.
> So instead of this:

> The Temple Square
>    You are standing on the temple square.  Huge marble steps lead up
> to the temple gate.  The entrance to the Clerics' Guild is to the
> west, and the old Grunting Boar Inn, is to the east.  Just south of
> here you see the market square, the center of Midgaard. [ Exits: n e
> s w ] A large fountain carved from blue-streaked marble is here,
> bubbling merrily. ..It glows yellow! A Peacekeeper is standing here,
> ready to jump in at the first sign of trouble.
>
> You'd see this:
> The Temple Square
>    You are standing on the temple square.  Huge marble steps lead
> north and up to the temple gate.  The entrance to the Clerics' Guild
> is to the west, and the old Grunting Boar Inn is to the east.  Just
> south of here you see the market square, the center of Midgaard.  A
> large fountain carved from blue-streaked marble is here, bubbling
> merrily. It glows yellow!  A Peacekeeper is standing here, ready to jump
> in at the first sign of trouble.

I have to ask, whats the point? Either way your presenting the same
information. Most players dont read descriptions and if you implement
something like this to _force_ the players to read the descriptions, you will
probobly lose alot of players. Yes there are those players that enjoy reading
the descriptions, which is why the descriptions still exist, but there are
also players who navigate by using landmarks. When they enter the room they
look for the "A large fountain..." item below the available exits and use it
as a landmark to guide them.

Dont get me wrong, its a good idea. It really depends on the aim of your
individual mud and what sort of players you wish to attract. I am only
speaking from my personal experiences as both player and admin. :)

--
Dave Robbins <daverobbins@comcast.net>