Re: Max # in game

From: Adam Scriven (scriven@lore.com)
Date: 05/27/03

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 10:41:28AM -0400, Alex wrote:
> > What would be more interesting is a system that saved of the number of a
> > certain item actually loaded, both in game and in rent. That way a true
> > maximum of the item could be achieved. I wonder if anyone has created
> > such a system and would be willing to share a little info about how they
> > went about that.
>
> We did that on VieMud.  The trick that we used is that we added an extra
> field to the object itself which is its _hard_ limit.  So, we essentially
> have a double limit.

I think this is a great idea, both for mobs and objects.  That way
a unique item can really be made 100% unique.

I think the way that Alex described this is a great way of doing it!

It would really add to the level of control possible, and allow for a
differentiation between simply rare items, and truely unique items (or mobs,
for that matter).  I remember playing on NCMUD, it had a shire, with Bilbo
and his One Ring... but everyone had one.  That's always struck me as
dumb.

So, if someone's keeping track, I vote for this as a feature. :)  I don't
know how to program it myself (yet), but I'd love to be a tester for the
code, and I'll run it for sure!
Adam