Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Circle DikuMud with Answers
Alex Fletcher, Revision 2.6, 28 August 1998
This file is intended to cover common questions related to the
CircleMUD distributon source by
and not general DikuMud questions. Any contributions and corrections are
more than welcome. It is currently maintained by
Alex Fletcher (aka Furry).
Please direct corrections to this address. The original author was Ryan
Watkins (aka VampLestat). More information about CircleMUD, including up-to-date versions of this
documentation in ASCII and Postscript, can be found at the
CircleMUD Home Page or
- 3.1 Why do I get many syntax errors with Sun's ``cc'' compiler?
- 3.2 Why do I get all sorts of errors with ``crypt'' functions and header files?
- 3.3 When I try to compile, why do I get a lot of undefined symbols referenced in comm.o for functions like socket, accept, and bind?
- 3.4 Every time I try to compile Circle (or any other piece of software) under Linux, it gives me errors and says it cannot find include header files in the
asm/ directories. What can I do?
- 3.5 I'm getting compilation errors from a header file, and I didn't even change it?
- 3.6 I'm trying to compile the mud on Windows '95 and am having problems, what can I do?
- 3.7 How can I do a ``grep'' on Windows 95?
- 3.8 While compiling the mud, why do I get errors like ``foo.c:1231: Undefined symbol `_whereamI' referenced from text segment''
- 3.9 What is a parse error and how do I fix it?
- 3.10 I have this piece of code that calls bcopy(), bzero(), and bcmp() and it won't compile, so what can I do?
- 3.11 My compiler doesn't have ``strdup()'', what can I do?
- 3.12 I am having trouble with my ``makefile'', what could be the problem?
- 3.13 How can I handle directories in C?
- 4.1 I typed ``autorun'' but then my terminal just froze.
- 4.2 I typed ``bin/circle'' and got lots of boot messages, but then it said ``Entering game loop'' and froze.
- 4.3 Okay, I think the MUD is running but why don't I get a login prompt?
- 4.4 How come I get this error when running my mud: ``Error reading board: No such file or directory''
- 4.5 I just got this SIGPIPE, what is it and what Can I Do About It?
- 4.6 When I run Circle under Linux, it tells me ``gethostbyaddr: connection refused'' when the MUD boots, and then dies. Why?
- 4.7 When I run Circle under Windows 95, it tells me ``Winsock error #10047'' when the MUD boots, and then dies. Why?
- 4.8 When I run Circle under Windows 95, players can't rent---their equipment is just dropped on the ground, syslogs don't work, so what is the problem?
- 4.9 When someone logs on to my Windows 95 MUD, the console screen gives: ``gethostbyaddr: No such file or directory''
- 4.10 My Mud crashed and my connection got closed. What can I do?
- 4.11 Ok, so how do I use ``gdb''?
- 4.12 How can I hunt bugs more effectively?
- 4.13 I just added n levels to my mud (from the stock 34). How do I set my imps up to level n without a pfile wipe?
- 4.14 I decided to wipe my pfile away anyway. What steps should I take to do this?
- 4.15 I want to expand the ability to pk in my MUD, allowing ASSASSINS that'll be able to PK without getting flagged. How can I do this?
- 4.16 Why does it say ``Connection closed by foreign host.'' and not display the ``Byebye!'' message I'm trying to send before cutting someone off?
- 4.17 I run my mud on a unix system and the pfile/rent file works great, but on my home system it's all screwed up. What gives?
- 4.18 How do I get the CircleMUD to autoload when the Linux server is restarted?
- 4.19 My server shuts down my MUD everytime I logoff. How do I keep the MUD running when I logoff?