Re: Intelligent (?) Objects

From: Mathue Moyer (mmoyer@sdcc10.UCSD.EDU)
Date: 03/16/94

>	Also, has anyone made a true flaming sword? One that does fire and blade
>damage? I have some ideas on this to...
>
>Brett@legends...

Well, here's what I've got in mind for the MUD I'm working on.
Whenever damage is dealt, pass in the amount of damage and a
bitvector to the function that resolves damage.  Use the bitvector
to specify what types of damage are being done.  Now, the problem
(that I haven't really decided on a good solution for yet) is how to
specify how much of the damage is from the slash, and how much from
the fire.  One possibility is fiddling with the weapon-obj struct a
bit so you can specify multiple damage rolls and then provide one
for each type of damage the weapon does..... then pass a linked list
of damage nodes to the damage resolver.  Or, if you prefer
simplicity over flexibility, just assume that each type of damage
being dealt is responsible for an equal portion of the total damage.

eg  For a flaming sword, give it a normal damage roll about twice
that of a normal sword, and set its damage type to (DAM_SLASH |
DAM_FIRE).  Then let the damage resolver decide how much of each
type of damage actually gets through to the target (that is, if you
are going to have resistances to various damage types).

Hmm.... this has been somewhat stream-of-unconsciousness style... if
anything I said was unclear or just plain stupid, feel free to
flame...  er... ask me for clarification.

--
-Mathue Moyer
-mathue@ucsd.edu