Re: Individual player files.

From: Danhiel Baker (dbaker@dcs.uga.edu)
Date: 04/05/94

Jeff "Teker" Fink explains:
| Alexander says:
| > You know, the Merc guys had THE ideas with respect to playerfiles.
| >
| > Why not make Circle 3.1 have individual text playerfiles just like Merc?
| > Or maybe not EXACTLY like Merc.. it would save on playerfile corruption
| > and make addition to the character structure a hellovalot easier.
| >
| > Just a thought.
|
| Well, the text format is much larger than saving them in binary mode...
| although I am for separate player files... it'd be much easier to save
| the poofin and poofout messages, along with any other variable length string
| that the player has (including long descriptions)  You could even tack
| the rent file onto the end.
|
| -Jeff

Was/Isn't Rivers of Mud a Merc based diku?  Didn't Jeremy put a *reasonably*
sized ROM on FTP for us to snag areas from -without- the hassle of their
player files...which were stored in the above manner?  I can hear him now,
just as if 'twere yesterday: "this is enough to convince me not to go to
individual, text based player saving."  Well, heck... so I paraphrased
a *bit*, you get the gist.  It's big.  It's Ugly (well, it's handy, but...)
It's not likely.  Or maybe Jeremy just didn't wand a text save of the
rent files... that might have been it, though I have a feeling that the
above discussion sorta includes that too :)

Danny, who has a good memory...when it works!