Re: Skills and so!! (fwd)]

From: Mud Administrator (absolut@b63740.student.cwru.edu)
Date: 08/03/94

>     sv0akejo@ida.his.se (Ake Jonsson) writes:
>     > Now is my question: 	Is there anyone out there sitting on some kind of
>     > 			"step by step" guidlines for adding the extra
>     > 			skills, spells...... and so on?
>
>     Here's how I would add a skill:
>
>     1) Rewrite the SPELLO macro in spell_parser so that it accepts
>        arguments for thief and fighter minimum levels.  Then rewrite
>        all the SPELLOs with the new arguments.
>
>     2) Rewrite the guild code so that it uses the SPELLO minimum
>        levels for all classes, not just mages and clerics.
>
>     3) Add the skill number to the constants list (spell_parser.c?)
>
>     4) Add the skill code (my_mud.c)
>
>     5) Add the COMMANDO in interpreter.c
>

>     ADding a spell works the same way except that you end up adding
>     two functions, and you need to modify the parser a little.  And for
>     the "newbie" coders, I'm sure you'll find the code rewriting to be
>     an excellent introduction to Diku.
>
>     -Jeff

This is what I did.  I allowed all classes to have at least a shot at all the
skills/spells.  I mean, kicking is a basic skill.  ANYONE can kick, why
should warrior have it only?  And some minor spells are ok for the
warriors/thieves.  I never understood the point of only allowing a small
number of skills to the warriors/thieves.

Ace
AbsolutMUD