More copyright... (fwd)

From: Mathue Moyer (mmoyer@sdcc10.UCSD.EDU)
Date: 08/26/94

>Well, ya see...thats just it!  "From my understanding", exactly what is your
>understanding?!?  This is the type of uninformed net gossip Im addressing!

My understanding comes from information I was given by an attorney specializing
in copyright law.  Furthermore, you might note that I _clearly_ marked it as
one person's understanding, and not fact.  Go yell at somebody else.

>On a rather bitchy note...WHY THE HELL DO ANY OF US CARE ABOUT ALL THIS
>LEGAL CRAP?!?  I mean, REALLY, do you think you guys are creating such a
>money making piece of software?!?  I understand we all put THOUSANDS of
>hours into our hobbies...BUT thats just what it is... A HOBBIE!!

Because the jerks at TSR are making it an issue.  The 'good old days' you
seem so fond of are _gone_.  It's much more practical to face reality and
deal with it than to wish things were like they used to be, because they
aren't, and they never will be.  With companies like TSR pushing their
way onto the net threatening copyright lawsuits and violating OTHER people's
copyrights, I think most of us agree that this issue is fairly important.
Your _opinion_ may be different.  Mine is not.

--
-Mathue Moyer
-mathue@ucsd.edu