Re: Ok, next question. (fwd)

From: Jeff (jfink@csugrad.cs.vt.edu)
Date: 09/09/94

"Robert A. Vegas" <rovegas@cs.nmsu.edu> writes:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 1994, Mr. Wizard wrote:
>

> > Alright.  I haven't looked to check, but it makes sense to me to save
> > upon entry simply for the purpose of charging rent.  Things that change
> > when you enter the game:
> >
> > 1.  You are charged for rent.
> > 2.  The time left on the effect flags (spells and such) is updated.
> > 3.  Your HP, MANA and MOVE may also be updated.
> >
> > Is that reason enough to save?  I would have to check to verify that all
> > of this happens upon entry, but I am pretty sure it does.
> >
> *sigh* You can do all those things when you are saved when you're leaving
> the game. Ok, not update but what needs to be updated when you logon? Unless
> you wanna do something that compares the actual dates of when the person
> left vs. when he logs back on then saving when you logon is just a waste
> of time. He's already saved to disk. I just don't get it. And Jeff, err,
> what did that have to do with saving when you logon? Perhaps someone who
> knows the code inside-out should enlighten us eh? I just want to know,
> why does it save when you logon (I'm talking about stock code here)? I'm
> sorry but, is it just me or does someone else see my side?

I just wanted to clear up that I didn't write the original quoted message
here, even know my name's referred to in the reply.

Now, here's a list of what needs to be saved when you log back in:
	Rent status		(now crash rent, and some items may have
				 been lost due to lack of money)
	Gold/Bank Gold
	Hps/ Move/ Mana		(you regen if you rent for an hour)
	Last on time

One point is that you can't charge people for rent at save time since
you don't know how long they're going to rent for, until they come back.
Now while this may be a small list of things to save, keep in mind that
just about any time you save, relatively small changes have occurred.
Things like experience and gold change rapidly, as well as items carried,
and spells cast on you, but nothing else really changes often.  So any
time you save, nothing much is being updated (although you could argue
over importance of things saved)

-Jeff