Question about Reply Command

From: Christopher J. Dickey (cdickey@texas.net)
Date: 04/20/95

  With some of the work I've been doing lately, it has brought me to look
at the whole idnum thing for players, and I happened to go over the reply
command.  I guess my question is this, would using a pointer to char_data
take up any more memory than the long-int used?  The problem with the
reply, though this may not be considered a problem for some, is that all
mobs have idnums of 0.  Therefore, you can not reply to a mob, though it
can freely reply to you because when you tell someone something, it
stores your idnum in a var in their struct.  So, would anyone see a
problem with turning it into a pointer to the char_data struct or would
anyone have a better way of working this so that mobs would be included?
It also seems it might save a bit of time being that the reply command
searches through the player list to get a pointer to the last person who
told.  Comments, replies, solutions, all appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris