Re: OLC...

From: Alastair Neil (ajn@essex.ac.uk)
Date: 06/01/95

>I'd like to ask all you brave folks who wrote your own OLC a couple
>questions:
>
>1) Did you convert your world files to binary or keep using text.
>
>2) If you use text, were you able to find some clever way to avoid writing
>   the whole world file every time you want to save changes?
>
> _/\_   GU -d H s : g? p5 au- a17 w v- C UL P L 3- E---- N K- W--- M-- V-- po
>/ L  \  Y t 5 j-- R G---- tv-- b D B--- e u*(**) h! f !r !n !y+
>\_ C_/  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  \/    My life as an instruction: xchg   al,al
>
>It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than forgiveness for
>being right.

1) Initially we did not use a binary database but then save times became so
large that we have switched.  Actually the binary database is not fully
implimented yet - but it is working well for objects - which is the main pain.

2) I guess you could store each obj/room/mob description in a separate file
in a directory labeled by the zone. All that opening and closing files sure
would be slow at boot time though.

--
Ich habe Dinge gesehen, die ihr Menschen niemals glauben wuerdet. Gigantische
Schiffe, die brannten draussen vor der Schulter des Orion. Und ich habe