Re: Glitch

From: Phil Priston (phil@marlyext.com)
Date: 06/12/95

v942346@si.hhs.nl <v942346@si.hhs.nl> Typed:>>

_> > From owner-circle@pvv.unit.no Mon Jun 12 10:24:49 1995
_> > Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 10:03:45 +0100 (MET)
_> > From: jaco v Iterson <strider@guyot.ptf.hro.nl>
_> > Subject: Re: Glitch
_> > To: IIVXMan@aol.com
_> > Cc: circle@pvv.unit.no (mail list circle)
_> > X-Envelope-to: circle@pvv.unit.NO
_> > Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
_> >
_> > >
_> > > Well we have found put that CircleMUD has been hacked on ours.  We had a
_> > > level 32 god somehow find a loop hole to make himself level 69!  We only go
_> > > to 34 on ours but he did it,  also he was able to raise off line users upto
_> > > 69 and put some down to 0.
_> > >
_> > > If anyone has any ideas how he did it it would be appectiated,  We kinda want
_> > > to stop it from happening again.
_> > >
_> > > thanks
_> > > iivxman@aol.com

we had this problem about a year ago, it turned out to be a bunch of
the host machine sysops friends logging on as root and editing the
player file with a binary editor...  we put the check in and they
went away!
	Phil...