re: vt100 (ansi) codes.

From: Sammy (samedi@clark.net)
Date: 09/12/95

On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, Mark Devlin wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Sammy wrote:
>
> > I got the same info from an ms-dos 5 manual.  I tried the keyboard
> > reassignments on my linux box and it wasn't working for me at all.  I
> > assumed it was a dos-only thing and gave up.  Has anyone sucsessfully
> > reassigned keys on a linux system?  The reason I ask is I wanted to allow
> > an option for players to set keyboard macros withing the mud and use
> > send_to_char's to redifine the player's keyboard.
>
> _DON'T_ do this.  _DON'T_ even THINK of doing this.  It is BAD.
>
> The reason is that it'd be very easy for someone to redefine someone
> else's keys into something undesirable.  Granted, the twit would need to
> be able to send the escape character, but better safe than sorry.
>
> Fortunately, most comm programs for DOS don't support keyboard
> reassignment codes anyways.
>
> No $.02 here, this one's free.  :-)
>
> - Mark
> markd@eskimo.com

I appreciate the wanings I'm getting guys, but I'm not sure my plan is
completely understood.  What I wanted to do was allow users to let the
mud remap their keyboards.  This would be completely controlled by me, so
I'd be responsible for and screwups.  Of course I'd have a way for them
to reset before they leave.  I thought this might help the people who
didn't have tintin out a little.

Sam :)