Portal and Gate spells

From: Hai Nguyen (hai@progsoc.uts.edu.au)
Date: 10/03/95

    There seems to be great interest in these spells and I feel kinda
reluctant to reveal the codes I have done.  What my code does is that
if someone cast 'gate' target, a portal appears at the target and also
at the caster.  Obviously both can look into portal to see what is on
the other side, and both can enter it to the other side of the room.
I have also made it disappear (add extra IFs where the corpse dissolving
routine is located) after a tic.
    I have also created what I call gate_objects which my builders can
create which act like one way portals.  An example of a use of this is :
You see a glowing portal that leads to the Nether Planes.
and so if someone enters the portal, they go to the other area but cannot
return since there is no portal back.  These gate_objects do not 'wink'
out of existence though, and so making it more realistic.
    Anyways, I guess I can give you clues on what to do so if you really
do want to code this, then log onto my mud and talk to me personally.
Sorry to sound so selfish, but I'd rather deal things on a personal level
when it comes to the hard work I have put in.

Horus.
PS: I hope I have given you some clues already on what to do.