Re: Segmentation Fault

From: Kilkenny (gjerde@plains.nodak.edu)
Date: 10/05/95

On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, Jason Huang wrote:

> Whenever Unix C tries to execute a program it cannot handle, it dumps
> whatever data it failed to handle from memory into a file, commonly
> called core dump; and, usually, as a consequence of segmentation fault,
> bus error, memory fault, and pipeline error ( just naming some that has
> happened to me ). You can decipher whatever went wrong with the help of a
> debugger such as gdb.

Core dumps has really nothing to do with C..   Unix will dump a core when
a program tries to access a piece of memory it does not have access to.
The core is a dump of all the memory the program your program you were
running.  This is why it tend to be fairly big.

*  Ole Gjerde                                   | Computer Science major  *
*                                               |    at  North Dakota     *
*  Homepage: http://www.winternet.com/~gjerde   |    State University     *
*  Email:    Gjerde@plains.NoDak.edu            |-------------------------*
*            Gjerde@winternet.com               |   Proud user of Linux   *