Re: controlling sizes of logfiles

From: Naved A Surve (naved@bird.taponline.com)
Date: 11/02/95

In message <Pine.SOL.3.91.951102191214.21780A-100000@eduserv.rug.ac.be> you said:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, Rasmus Rxnlev wrote:
>
> > I kinda remember some time ago, where someone mentioned a program that
> > could control the sizes of logfiles made with Circle's standard autorun
> > script...
>
> tail -500 logfile > tmp
> mv tmp logfile
>
> Puts only the last 500 lines in the log...

This actually doesn't work on a 'live' syslog file because Circle holds the
log file open.  After doing this operation on a live syslog the file
descriptor in the running process would still be pointing to the old syslog
not the newly created one.  That aside, doing something like this to your
log file defeats the purpose of having it.  How do you know you didn't just
trim something important?  If this is your maintenance plan, you may as well
do something like 'bin/circle 2> /dev/null &' and get rid of the syslog
completely.

-Naved