Re: Using lex and yacc for parsing

From: Thomas G. Dailey (tgd@iglou.com)
Date: 11/05/95

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, Mark Coletti wrote:

> Naved A Surve pounded furiously on the keyboard:
>
> > In message <199511010051.TAA25119@clark.net> you said:
>
> > > Although CircleMUD has its good sides, it needs some basic things done first
> > > before new features are added:
>
> > You made some worthwhile suggestions towards the development of CircleMUD,
> > however, ask yourself at what point do you continue to 'revise' an existing
> > base and when do you just start from scratch?  You were suggesting some
> > changes in the fundamental ways in which a CircleMUD operates.  take away
> > its command interopreter, and data file formatting, and data structures, and
> > all you have left are some sockets! (slight exagguration) If you are going
> > to invest the effort to make such a widespread revision to CircleMUD you may
> > as well do the job properly and write your mud from scratch.
>
> 	Well, actually I was thinking of doing just that!  =8-) (Yes,
> I am daft.)  Once I began to go over the source, I kept adding various
> things to my to do list.  After all was said and done, I realized that
> I was thinking about a major undertaking and that it would probably be
> prudent to just start from scratch; writing a MUD in C++ or Python
> came to mind.
>
> 	However, this is just recreational programming for me; since
> this is something that I'm not doing for a client, I can get away with
> just re-writing a portion of it.  :) :) So, now the task comes down to
> identifying what needs to done, to allocate tasks on a triage basis.
> I've lately been thinking that the parser would involve too much work,
> that it would make more sense to work on the various world, zone, and
> object files.  Using lex and yacc would go a long ways to make it
> easier to create new zones.
>
> 	(I can't help but wonder that the syntactic complexity of the
> various files chases a lot of potential world builders away.  It's not
> exactly the most intuitive thing in the world.  :)

  I would have to agree with you on part of what you said about world
building.  I have had many people get on my mud and say that they were
interested in building.  I would then point them to the building docs
and tell them if they would like to, have at it!  Most get the docs,
see the length of them, and just quit....
On the other hand, for those of use who have read the docs, looked at an
example of an area, then built 1 or 2, it's rather simple.  Point is:
I think it depends on the person and how much they _really_ want to become
an area builder....

Tom Dailey
Gore - IMP
ZombieMUD
zombie.iglou.com

> 	 Anyhoo, I'll keep you posted on my
decision.  This is not > something I'm going to rush into.   No, really!