Any ideas about ascii playerfile? (fwd)

From: Billy H. Chan (~{3B:FH;~}) (bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu)
Date: 11/17/95

> From: "Michael K. Lee" <mklee@Sun2.IS.csupomona.edu>
> Subject: Any ideas about ascii playerfile?
>
> I really want to convert my playerfile to ascii.
> Any ideas?

Look in db.c, where the save_to_file (or char_to_file or char_to_st)
functions are... then look at iedit/redit for how to save ints and
longs as ascii, etc.... then make it save to a directory tree like plrobjs
and/or plralias and/or plr(whatever) does.  Also, look at struct.h's
char_data struct etc. to see what kind of info needs to be saved.

coverting a playerfile to ascii would eat up more inodes, so I'd suggest
saving it with the objects into plrobjs.  Howevert, if you have inodes
to spare, what's another 100 files, right?  Oh and more space too.  Ascii
saves in general takes more bytes than non-ascii... you might go for a
hybrid, unless you plan to vi/jove/emacs those player files.
-Billy H. Chan	~{3B:FH;~}		    <bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu>
 MechWarrior II Addict		Red Planet Veteran (Blocker)
 "Argh! My 'O' key is broken!!" - famous last words
 "If you're going under 100kph, you might as well stand still"  - Strom