Re: RBB: Realy Big Bitvector

From: Naved A Surve (naved@bird.taponline.com)
Date: 12/08/95

In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.951208151045.18369A-100000@akasha.tic.com> you said:
> Now, are there _any_ workable ideas for this, or should I just ditch it
> based on the grounds that it's not possible?

Ditch it on the grounds that it's not possible.  If you find a way of doing
it, write a paper on how you managed to store more than one bit of
information in one bit of storage.

> Work with this on the
> grounds that memory _is_ a factor, and speed/efficiency are less in the
> priorities.

If you REALLY want to save memory, and speed/efficiency are not a priority,
write out the lib files as binary data, then memory map those files and do
all your operations on the mapped files.  That way, you save all the memory
that your world files are taking up.  I would bet its a big saving too, as
the world file data takes up a considerable amount of memory.

Naved