Re: your mail

From: Brian Christopher Guilbault (guil9964@nova.gmi.edu)
Date: 12/11/95

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Casper wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I was wonderring what you imps use for a software development
> tool.  And what problems you run into when you have a lot of coders
> touching same code.  Or any solutions you can offer.  I heard that
> program RCS with linux distrubition doesn't seem to compile on Solaris.
> Any other tools?  Thanks

To answer the second part of your question, at QuarantineMUD we have a
file on the account called new_code in the src directory. Every time a
coder makes a change in the code, they comment around the addition or
change showing who made the change and the date, then they log it into
the new_code file describing what the change does and where it is (file,
approx. line numbers, etc.) No one compiles befire the other coders have
seen the change and writes that they have in the file. Every few weeks or
whatever you can kill the top few lines in the file to keep the size and
hassle low.

This may seem like it would take a long time to get a change made, but
I'm telling you, it works. When you have 3 or 4 people all who have
access to the code, it's hard to keep track of who is doing what. This is
the best way that I have found. Besides, as long as everyone checks the
file regularly, it goes fine. Of course you don't have to log EVERYTHING
such as typo fixes and whatnot :-)

Hope this helps,

   -Dante, Head IMP at QuarantineMUD