Re: Beating a machine reboot

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@blaze.cs.jhu.edu)
Date: 03/28/96

> Why not use /etc/rc.d/rc.local to start it running?  I believe on most
> Linux distributions have a call to rc.local as part of the boot process.

Because you can only modify rc.local if you're the sysadmin (root) on the
machine.  It's better to use cron because you can use it no matter who
you are (most people don't realize this, but normal users can submit
crontab entries the same as root can).

This is a nice script - if you can figure out how to get rid of the
zombie processes, I'll include it in the main distribution.

Jeremy

PS - I just bought a new Pentium that I'm using for Windows development
(I have a monitor/keyboard A-B switch now, labelled "Linus" and "Bill")
and MS Visual C++ 4.0.  Naturally I couldn't resist trying to compile
Circle, and it actually went pretty well.  Believe it or not, patchlevel
11 may actually run under Windows 95/NT, if I can finish converting the
socket calls over to WinSock.

Jeremy