Re: Just wondering, anyone as insane as Hades?

From: Michael Buselli (mhbusell@midway.uchicago.edu)
Date: 04/10/96

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Hades wrote:

> Hash tables? Explain... and it doen't do any kind of lookup, it's an array
> to some pointers, world_index[1031].room IS the room , or a pointer to it
> rather. :) But yeah, tell me about these hash tables you have and how they
> work.

     Oh I see what you've done... okay, you beat me on speed there... a
hash table is an array of linked lists.  Say I want to index room 1031 and
the size of my table is 727 (prime and far away from powers of 2 are good
things in a number), then I call a function that looks at
world_hash_table[1031 % 727], and if this isn't the room I'm looking for
then it looks at world_hash_table[1031 % 727]->next_hashed and it
continues until the function finds the right room or NULL is returned.
The idea is that there wouldn't be more than 2 or 3 steps on average to
find the room, which is much better than averaging 2000 steps as in a
linear search.

     Only thing I disagree with your system is that if you get to the
point where you start having huge numbers for your vnumbers, your array
size will be really big.  I personally prefer the hash table so I at
least have control over that.

Michael Buselli
m-buselli@uchicago.edu
http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/mhbusell/