languages

From: Mark Devlin (markd@eskimo.com)
Date: 04/29/96

I think some people are making languages out to be more difficult than
they should be.

The _players_ should have no way of translating something. If they
can, what's the point of having _character_-based language skills?
Eventually the player will learn what means what (such as the stock
say_spell function, a dimwitted fighter played by someone who knows all
the syllables will have no fear of someone chanting "qfoi dies" (create
light, if I got it right)). All the player should see is whatever the
text says, or some indication that the _character_ couldn't understand
it. Successful attempts should increase skill by some amount based on
how difficult a language is, or whatever factors are suitable for the
game.

Showing anything else is just eye-candy.

<insert disclaimer regarding personal opinion here>

- Mark
markd@eskimo.com	(finger markd@eskimo.com for my PGP signature)
http://www.eskimo.com/~markd	U.S.A. Home of the Alternate Reality page