Re: Read languages(runes) skill

From: Skylar (skylar@ifconfig.intserv.com)
Date: 05/01/96

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Sammy wrote:

> This is all just my opinion, but I don't believe that features which have
> no purpose but to make the mud "more realistic" are generally just
> neisance items that players put up with grudgingly.  Imagine if hunger
> and thirst had never been a part of diku and a mud you played on suddenly
> imped them.  Imagine your reaction :)

Actually, this was the case in the first revision of diku I played, on
alfa and eris, hunger and thirst did nothing but give you the messages,
they had no effect at all on the game.  It was actually standard practice
to NOT eat or drink because the messages would let you know when the ticks
came (this was before anyone was using nifty clients like tintin on dikus).
Then came gamma and you didnt heal/regen if you were hungry and thirsty,
and everyone complained like crazy... heh, kinda funny.  I thought it was
cool that they finally made it DO something, but I complained because they
remove field plate, and basically made it so AC didnt much matter at all
anymore :/

-Sky