Re: FlameFest II: This is is not CS 1

From: David Wruck (dwruck@DarkSun.madnet.com)
Date: 05/08/96

On Wed, 8 May 1996, Jeremy Elson wrote:

> I'm beginning to think that splitting the list in two parts may be a good
> idea afterall -- this list, which will remain as it is for newbie questions,
> and a second, *moderated* list for "advanced" questions (called
> circle-wizards or something).  I'd be willing to moderate the list if I
> can figure out how, since I've never been a mailing list moderator before.
> circle-wizards would not allow newbie traffic or anything answered by an
> FAQ or any of the documentation (optimally, I should finish coding.doc
> first.)
>
> Is there any support for this idea?

Several problems will inevitably arise from this.

First of all, some of the "newbie questions" I am seeing seem to come
from people who are trying to run a mud, and just don't know. These
people will no longer get help if the list splits, as the people who
(in theory at least) know something will not monitor the "newbie list"
but would rather sit on the "advanced list" and "take care of business"
there.

This list is (in my understanding) to allow people running a copy of
Circle MUD to exchange ideas, and ask questions. Some people should
get used to seeing the same thing several times. It's the real world
people, and it's just the way it is.