Re: FlameFest II: This is is not CS 1 (fwd)

From: Billy H. Chan (bhchan@po.EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: 05/08/96

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Skylar wrote:

> and waiting for a reply :-)  Hrm, why doesnt someone put up a coders mud
> where we can just telnet in and find an experienced person or group of
> them waiting to answer questions and kick around idea on the spot?

I used to think there were two main camps of mud coders, those who guard
their code with their lives, and those who give out code freely (as long
as you mention their name somewhere).  Now, I've run into a few more camps
of coders and understand why some would guard their code with their lives,
coders who sign on a mud to steal/snarf what others have written (and of
course not give credit where credit was due) and even worse, people who
go and supply a site for a coder and then, after a week, the account
disappears as does the code.
That's probably why there aren't many muds where IMPs from other muds go
and hangout and swap ideas.  I know of two.  One lost his site.  The
other one recently got code-theft.
Perhaps when I get my site up and running, I'll put a coder's corner where
people can do their idea swapping.  Until then, we can dream...
-- Billy  H. Chan     bhchan@po.eecs.berkeley.edu  bhchan@csua.berkeley.edu
   CogSci/CompSci     http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~bhchan     ResumeInside