Re: Support for 2 mailing lists

From: Jeffrey D. Frey, Jr. (freyj@k2.iserv.net)
Date: 05/09/96

> >I'm beginning to think that splitting the list in two parts may be a good
> >idea afterall -- this list, which will remain as it is for newbie questions,
> >and a second, *moderated* list for "advanced" questions (called
> >circle-wizards or something).  I'd be willing to moderate the list if I
> >can figure out how, since I've never been a mailing list moderator before.
> >circle-wizards would not allow newbie traffic or anything answered by an
> >FAQ or any of the documentation (optimally, I should finish coding.doc
> >first.)
>
> >Is there any support for this idea?
>
> Yes. I would be a good idea.

I have to disagree with splitting the list up because it will end up
turning out just like rec.games.mud.admin, and rec.games.mud.diku
where people post the same exact message to both lists anyway.  I
really liked the idea about putting descriptions in the title though
like NEWBIE:, CODE:, IDEA:, etc...

One other way that we can discourage some of the 'clueless people' is
by everytime you see a post that is so simple to figure out or learn,
or read about in the docs, just reply with a RTFM!! I know that when
I come to this list I have exhausted all my resources by that time
and I can honestly say that I don't know how to do something.  I
don't think that we are asking everyone here to be a 'C guru' per se',
but we are asking people to show a little initiative and try to
figure things out themselves first, not just run to where they know
they can find the answers.  One good example of this is the guy who
sent Jeremy the email about make not being on his system and not
knowing how to run the configure script.  I'm almost positive if he
just read a little bit before he emailed he would have gotten it for
himself.

Just my .02,

Jeffrey D. Frey, Jr.
Endrea@ZombieMUD