Re: Newbie: Questions

From: Sammy (samedi@clark.net)
Date: 05/12/96

On Sun, 12 May 1996, Chris Dodd wrote:

> grep thing * &> filename.  You have to remember that grep is, of course,
> case-sensitive.
> So for checking on adding new spells, something like this works well:
>         grep fireball * &> fire1
>         grep FIREBALL * &> fire2

You can do a case-insensitive grep using the -i option.  Unless I really
want to narrow the search down I always use -i when grepping source.  If
you're searching for plain text, fgrep works even better.

If you're not familiar with grep, I highly recommend learning how to use
it since it can save a lot of time.  There's even a dos version
available.  It may be helpful to use the -n version as well, since it
will print the line numbers of the found text.

Sam