Re: Porting to Solaris SYS V

From: Brian Pape (bpape@ezl.com)
Date: 05/21/96

> Ok, I ported fine, everything compiles and works, BUT it does NOT like any
> of my old binaries. The pfile is wacked, but the wierd thing is... all text
> is fine, and the passwords are fine, it's just any numbers get all screwy,
> but as far as I can tell, I've used sizeof to check, and all int, sh_ints,
> and longs are the same size, so what could be screwing up just the numbers
> but leaving the text alone?

byte ordering can be different on different platforms (i.e. big vs little
endian).

obviously text fields are the same because sizeof(char) generally == 1 in
text strings.  Easiest way to convert it to write a converter that
converts the pfile entries to ascii, then converts them back to binary
after you change platforms.