Re: patchlevel11 -> final

From: Ole Gjerde (gjerde@plains.nodak.edu)
Date: 06/23/96

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Nick wrote:
> I am interested in heavily modifying Circle 3p11... however, I am worried
> that if I do so, and the final comes out, it will be a MAJOR pain to port
> all the modified code over to the final.  Will the 'patch' program efficiently
> work around the hoards of modified code that I may put in?  Or do I have to
> just wait and waste time in the mean time? (i hope this option doesn't come
> up).

If you don't want to waste time by waiting, then just start modifying
circle.  BUT 'patch' is more than likely not going to be able to "work
around the hoards of modified code."  'patch' doesn't have a brain, it's
static code.  So you'll have to manually look at the patch file, and put
the code into your code by hand.  It's not that hard, but it does take a
while to do it.  I started with p9 and I patched it to 10 and 11 by hand.

----
Ole Gjerde
Homepage: http://www.winternet.com/~gjerde
Email: gjerde@plains.nodak.edu, gjerde@winternet.com, jander@fix.bbs.no
Studying Computer Science at North Dakota State University
"Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."
                                                  -- Unknown/Nem Schlecht